Google’s User Experience Group has developed and published 10 Design Principles:
1. Focus on people—their lives, their work, their dreams.
2. Every millisecond counts.
3. Simplicity is powerful.
4. Engage beginners and attract experts.
5. Dare to innovate.
6. Design for the world.
7. Plan for today’s and tomorrow’s business.
8. Delight the eye without distracting the mind.
9. Be worthy of people’s trust.
10. Add a human touch.
This morning (at least), I’m a big fan of number 4. It’s a big challenge to create something which is easy enough for the under-experienced, and engaging enough for the uber-experienced. I struggle with this regularly at work in creating educational resources and facilitating orientation sessions. A good amount of humour can help.