Coming down from a conference high. #a4a10 – Aiming for Accessibility: meeting standards, making change was a tremendous event. Congratulations and thanks to the speakers, attendees, organizers and sponsors.
Word clouds from the event:
Here’s (some of) what I learned and was inspired by:
- “Meeting the requirements of the AODA really isn’t the goal in itself…we need to nurture a culture of accessibility and inclusion, which is different than simply accommodation and compliance.” (Mike Ridley)
- Chronic conditions are the health care challenge of the 21st century.
- Accessibility means revenue. People with disabilities are an untapped resource.
- Apple & Accessibility
- WAVE toolbar
- D2L & Accessibility
- Accessible Course Templates cc: No Rights Reserved License)
- Vanilla Ice references have a place at most conferences (e.g. “Stop. Collaborate and Listen”, “If there’s a problem, yo, I’ll solve it.”)
- Simply Accessible (Derek Featherstone). Design ideas for disabilities.
- “It’s more than getting into the interface. It’s about being able to participate.” (Stephen Hockema)
- Good design is accessible design.
See you next year!